Monday, March 5, 2007 3:56 PM
We're often asked whether there are librarians currently working at Google. The answer is "yes!" I'm sure there are more, but a few people I've worked with directly come to mind: Ben Bunnell, a frequent poster here as well as an active participant in our librarian outreach, is a graduate of the University of Michigan's School of Information. Adam Mathes, currently a Product Manager on the Book Search team, also has an MLS, as does Cathy Gordon, a Business Development Director.
The follow-up question, typically, is whether or not we have current openings for librarians. We usually send people to www.google.com/jobs, where they can access the comprehensive list of Google job openings. However, I recently learned from a colleague in Google's new Public Sector Content Partnerships team that they're looking for a librarian to help the team navigate the world of public sector and government information, so I thought I'd send this on directly to you.
Content Analyst, Public Sector - Mountain View or Washington D.C.
Google is seeking an information professional to serve as the domain expert and analyst for a Public Sector Content Partnerships team. The candidate must have demonstrated background and skills in conducting quantitative and qualitative analyses of government and public sector information sources in support of strategic and tactical planning. The ideal candidate will be passionate about uncovering, interpreting, and helping to improve access to public sector information.
* Conduct quantitative and qualitative analyses of the information holdings of government agencies, courts, and public sector organizations at all levels, in the US and internationally.
* Identify public sector information formats and subject verticals to be integrated in Google’s search services.
* Identify, qualify, and tier prospective partners and, in some cases, initiate communication with contacts.
* Assist in developing content acquisition programs and partnership terms as well as marketing communications for prospective partners.
* MLS, with focus in government/public sector information and 2+ years of relevant work experience; JD or legal background a plus.
* Demonstrated track record in producing analytical and narrative reports.
* Superior written communication skills.
* Extreme attention to detail.
* Ability to effectively operate with high energy and flexibility in a fast-paced, constantly evolving team environment.
* Command of office and presentation applications.
* Proficiency in a second language a plus.
* Fluency in internet and content industry economics, segmentation, and trends a plus.
* Active participant in professional librarian community a plus.
If this sounds like the job for you, you can apply online -- just follow the requisition link and click the "Add to job cart" link at the bottom. And of course, feel free to forward this message on to anyone whom you think might be a fit. If you've got questions regarding this position, please email JL Needham (firstname.lastname@example.org) in Google's Public Sector Content Partnerships team.
Permalink | Links to this post |